Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Reconciliation

When I think about the word reconciliation, I think to restore a relationship, or to be reestablished in the relationship.  In recent conversations, I asked different individuals if their best friend lied on them, could they reconcile the relationship.  Five of the ten people said it depended on what the lie was.  Three said yes, they would try to reconcile the relationship, and two said absolutely not.  All of these individuals where Christians.  So I went back to the same ten people and asked them if  their spouse committed infidelity, could their marriage be reconciled?  Well, all ten people said " Hell NO"!  Again, I reiterate, these ten people where Christians.  So, it grieved my spirit.

To have your best friend lie on you would be a very hurtful thing to happen.  To have your spouse cheat on you is even more hurtful.  It's devastating, horrific, rocks you to your enter core!  Yes, reconciliation would be very difficult, and impossible on your own.  BUT!  I bless the Lord, for the but.  "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.  Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself, through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation"
(2 Corinthians 5:17-19).

So, as a believer, how can I not work to reconcile a relationship or a marriage.  I'm not saying that it is going to be an easy thing to do.  Again, on my own, it would be impossible.  But, I am of God, and greater is He in me, than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4).  So I have Jesus in me, and because of His work on the cross, I have the ministry of reconciliation.  I'm a new creature in Christ Jesus with a new character, so "nothing is impossible with God" (Luke 1:37).

I have new traits with my new character in Christ:
1 Corinthians 13:3-8: Love... suffers long, is kind, does not envy, does not parade itself, is not puffed up, does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks not evil, does not rejoice in iniquity, rejoices in the truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13).  God is love!
Galatians 5:22-23: The fruit of the Spirit... love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.  Against such there is no law... If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:23, 25).
Philippians 4:8: Meditate on whatever things are... true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, of any virtue, praiseworthy.  The things which you learned, received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:9).
Colossians 3:12-16: Put on these things... tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering (patience), bear with one another, forgive one another, above all, put on love.  Let the peace of God rule in your hearts.  Be thankful.  Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly.  Teach and admonish one another.  Sing with grace in your hearts.  Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus (Colossians 3:17).

If you are in Christ, you are a new creature in Him.  The old habits and character traits that marked your life before Christ are passing away.  He is making you entirely new (see 2 Corinthians 5:15).  You have a new identity in Christ (see Ephesians 1).  So, now I ask you, "Can you reconcile"?

Be blessed!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment